Things you may not know about the human body according to Health.com.
- Rinsing your nose with salt water can help keep you healthy and ward off allergy symptoms.
- Dogs can smell cancer and low blood sugar.
- People who enter their home through a door near the kitchen tend to eat 15% more than those who use the front door.
- You’re more likely to have a heart attack on a Monday…or up to three days after you’ve been diagnosed with the flu or a respiratory tract infection.
- Smokers are four times as likely to report feeling un-rested after a nights sleep than nonsmokers, and are 70% more likely to develop hearing loss.
- Eating fruits and vegetables may help the human body make its own aspirin.
- A 60-minute nap can improve alertness for up to 10 hours. The most widely accepted record for going without a nap, or any sleep whatsoever, is 264 hours (11 days).
- Your kitchen sink is dirtier than your bathroom: There are typically more than 500,000 bacteria per square inch in its drain. The faucet, basin, and sponge are crawling with germs as well.
- Strawberries and baking soda can whiten teeth, garlic can help treat athletes foot, and honey can soothe a hangover.
- Using a food diary can double a person’s weight-loss efforts.
- Regular exercise can lower a woman’s cancer risk—but only if she’s getting enough sleep.
- Watching yourself run in a mirror can make a treadmill workout go by faster and feel easier.
- Walking against the wind, in the water, or while wearing a backpack burns about 50 more calories per hour than walking with no resistance. People who wear pedometers also tend to burn more calories and lose more weight.
November 30, 2023
Volunteer Profile: Marlene Miller
At the heart of the bustling hospital corridors stands a beacon of compassion and unwavering dedication, Marlene Miller, a remarkable…
November 27, 2023
Preserving Memories: The Journey of Caregiving Amidst Dementia at Deer Lodge Centre
Memories shape our identities, weaving a tapestry of experiences and connections that define who we are. At Deer Lodge Centre,…
October 19, 2023
Until There’s a Cure for Dementia, There’s Deer Lodge Centre
Deer Lodge Centre is home to a newly refurbished, state-of-the-art dementia care unit. The T7 Dementia Care Unit, which was…